From: chris <cb@mythtech.net>
Subject: Re: LinkSys Routers
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 12:28:26 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
>The info at the linksys site says of most of these devices: "The router
>can also be configured to block internal users' access to the Internet."
>That's pretty much the opposite of what I would use it for -- blocking
>spammers and such from my servers.

This feature is in addition to the normal blocking of outside users from
getting into your system.

Many of the SOHO units are now allowing you to block or limit inside
users access to the outside. I think it started as a "parental control"
feature, and has been improved as they realized more and more companies
are trying to limit what employees can do and when they can do it.

>I note that you wrote "firewall option". Is that as in "extra-cost
>option"? Must a Linksys device be ordered with the option or is the option
>installed via a firmware upgrade or what?

It depends on the model. I think all the current shipping ones have basic
firewall abilities built in. Some of them allow for upgrades to be
purchased to add products like Zone Alarm to get more advanced features.

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>