From: Bill Cole <listbill@scconsult.com>
Subject: Re: Wandering off-topic: Speedstream 5861 (was Re: Authentication Attempts)
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 19:36:08 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 8:40 AM -0800 12/1/04, Tod Fitch  imposed structure on a stream of electrons, yielding:
On Dec 1, 2004, at 7:44 AM, Mike Hebel wrote:

Low Cost: Linksys Router with Firewall option.
<snip>
More Cost and Even Bigger Beef: A Cisco PIX firewall.  It's basically a
specialized PC but it has almost no moving parts - I think there's a fan
in the power supply but that's it - and it works damn well.

It all depends on the size of the network in question and what type of
incoming connection you're using.

I have just finished (I think/hope) configuring a Cisco PIX501 firewall to replace my older Linksys that did not have a firewall option.

Be very careful with the PIX. One set of 'features' it has is what Cisco calls 'fixup' of various protocols, essentially acting as an application-layer proxy. The SMTP 'fixup' is a very wrong very destructive abomination that should be turned off and forgotten about.