From: Tod Fitch <Tod@FitchDesign.com>
Subject: Re: Wandering off-topic: Speedstream 5861 (was Re: Authentication Attempts)
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 16:53:17 -0800
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>

On Dec 1, 2004, at 4:36 PM, Bill Cole wrote:

At 8:40 AM -0800 12/1/04, Tod Fitch  imposed structure on a stream of electrons, yielding:
I have just finished (I think/hope) configuring a Cisco PIX501 firewall to replace my older Linksys that did not have a firewall option.

Be very careful with the PIX. One set of 'features' it has is what Cisco calls 'fixup' of various protocols, essentially acting as an application-layer proxy. The SMTP 'fixup' is a very wrong very destructive abomination that should be turned off and forgotten about.

I did discover that one. "MailGuard" kills SMTP AUTH which meant my laptop could not connect to SIMS (I have my client set to always AUTH on sending to SIMS). Another cruise through the manuals got me to add "no fixup protocol smtp 25" to my setup. Like I said in my earlier post, the PIX is not for the faint of heart.