From: Warren Michelsen <Warren@MDCCLXXVI.com>
Subject: Re: Wandering off-topic: Speedstream 5861 (was Re: Authentication Attempts)
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 20:28:41 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 7:57 PM -0700 12/1/04, Lewis Butler issued a series of ones and zeros which decoded as:
>On 01 Dec 2004, at 06:36, Warren Michelsen wrote:
>>At 3:57 AM -0500 12/1/04, Timothy Binder issued a series of ones and zeros which decoded as:
>>>
>>>You can run IPNR on the same Mac as SIMS, too. I did this successfully for a while, along with Macjordomo and MacDNS, and maybe some other stuff. (Yes, I'm dating myself.)
>>
>>I'd like a router/firewall that will protect others servers as well. Since SIMS is on an iMac... Besides, while I might trust IPNR on X to stand between the net and my servers, I wouldn't put an OS 9 box in that position.
>
>Well, OS 9 is, if anything, MORE secure than OS X.

My preference for a non OS 9 solution has nothing to do with security. It's a stability issue. I just think a dedicated, no moving parts box will provide better uptimes.

>Also, IPNR is a quality product.  I know of people who have run it unattended for years.

I'm a former IPNR user, so you don't have to convince me.