From: Lewis Butler <lbutler@covisp.net>
Subject: Re: Wandering off-topic: Speedstream 5861 (was Re: Authentication Attempts)
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 20:32:37 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On 01 Dec 2004, at 20:28, Warren Michelsen wrote:
At 7:57 PM -0700 12/1/04, Lewis Butler issued a series of ones and zeros which decoded as:
On 01 Dec 2004, at 06:36, Warren Michelsen wrote:
At 3:57 AM -0500 12/1/04, Timothy Binder issued a series of ones and zeros which decoded as:

You can run IPNR on the same Mac as SIMS, too. I did this successfully for a while, along with Macjordomo and MacDNS, and maybe some other stuff. (Yes, I'm dating myself.)

I'd like a router/firewall that will protect others servers as well. Since SIMS is on an iMac... Besides, while I might trust IPNR on X to stand between the net and my servers, I wouldn't put an OS 9 box in that position.

Well, OS 9 is, if anything, MORE secure than OS X.

My preference for a non OS 9 solution has nothing to do with security. It's a stability issue. I just think a dedicated, no moving parts box will provide better uptimes.

You would think :/

My home router needs a reboot about every 6-8 weeks.  My OS 9 6200 running SIMS was rebooted every year or so due to power issues and I think only NEEDED a reboot once or twice between 1995-2001.

--
You know, in a world in which Bush and Blair can be nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize, "for having dared to take the necessary decision to launch a war on Iraq without having the support of the UN" I find myself agreeing with Tom Lehrer: satire is dead. - Neil Gaiman