From: Mike Hebel <nimitz@nimitzbrood.com>
Subject: Re: Wandering off-topic: Speedstream 5861
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 08:57:47 -0600
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>

On Thursday, December 2, 2004, at 08:51 AM, Warren Michelsen wrote:

At 10:39 PM -0500 12/1/04, after patiently answering my DSL questions, Bill Cole stated:
At 6:33 PM -0700 12/1/04, Warren Michelsen  imposed structure on a stream of electrons, yielding:

Will a LinkSys BEFSR41 or BEFSX41 do it?

This is where things get screwy. I am not familiar with either of those so I went to the Linksys site, and I see things they give names like "Cable/DSL Router" which is simply confusing.

Exactly. Much of the manufacturers' publicity regarding these devices made me believe that people with DSL simply had an Ethernet feed coming from their DSL modem. I came to equate DSL router with Ethernet router. Thanks for setting me straight.

Gotta love advertisers. ^_^

From what I can tell, those particular devices look to be more oriented towards protecting a home network from the miscreants inside rather than from known miscreants outside. It looks like you'd have to hack something up like adding static routes to their address space with bogus gateways, which is a nice functional traditional way to do IP blocking, but it a bit of an unobvious hack.

However, take a look at <http://www.efficient.com/subscriber_networks/5781.shtml>.

On page 2 of their PDF data sheet (<http://www.efficient.com/subscriber_networks/pdf/efficientnetworks-5781.pdf>) they clearly show the 5781 interposed between the DSL modem and a client's network.

Even the SS2604 SpeedStream is Ethernet to Ethernet:

From what I've read you can actually route the ethernet side of things on the 5861 without too much trouble - ignoring the DSL interface.  However I get the impression that that's not optimum for you.

I might have missed it but what kind of connection do you have?

Mike
----
"I think we used too much!" - Chris Knight