From: Stefan Jeglinski <jeglin@4pi.com>
Subject: Wandering off-topic II: gigabit routers
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 10:39:46 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
Since we've strayed into this area, I hope listers don't mind this secondary discussion. SIMS is humming right along now anyway, I haven't had to bother with it for, um, 176 days now.

[ with apologies to Bill Cole, who if he ever gets my e-mail filtered out of his postmaster acct may see me asking him the same question off-line 8-0 ]

Anyway... I'm "helping" someone who knows even less about this than me, but is somehow graced with a &^%#^$ gigaabit fiber connection into his home (not in US by the way), with computers (Mac!) in the home that all have gigabit ethernet. Ignoring for a moment the fact that most of the rest of the internet will be limiting his bandwidth...

Given said connection, is there a box one would buy that would be the equivalent of the more common firewall/router solutions, only 10x faster?

IOW, these days one spends $50 on a Netgear/Dlink/Linksys box with a 10BT WAN connection and a 10/100 switch for the LAN connection. Is there instead a box that does 1000BT on the WAN side with a 10/100/1000 switch on the LAN side? Does one have to go to a full industrial grade gigabit router and the associated $$$ to get this?

I'm guessing also that we may need to be more precise with words here. Whereas the aforementioned Netgear et al solutions are more aptly described as NAT'd firewalls (are they not?), does one jump to full router status with the gigabit stuff? Besides, if the NAT'd firewall box has a static routing table that can be modified, why is it not actually a router?

I've googled on gigabit router, but the language seems to be different from "here's the WAN side, here's the LAN side, plug in both and configure and you're done." Plus, it seems that gigabit for the industrial-grade stuff is generally many gigabits, not just 1Gbit.

I'm just looking for a link to get me started learning about this, if anybody knows of one. An actual discussion would be keen.

Stefan Jeglinski