From: Timothy Binder <lists@cyberthorn.net>
Subject: Re: Wandering off-topic II: gigabit routers
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 11:46:38 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On Dec 2, 2004, at 10:39 AM, Stefan Jeglinski wrote:

Anyway... I'm "helping" someone who knows even less about this than me, but is somehow graced with a &^%#^$ gigaabit fiber connection into his home (not in US by the way), with computers (Mac!) in the home that all have gigabit ethernet. Ignoring for a moment the fact that most of the rest of the internet will be limiting his bandwidth...

Given said connection, is there a box one would buy that would be the equivalent of the more common firewall/router solutions, only 10x faster?

If he wants to keep costs down, this is one case where it might make sense to use IP NetRouter (X), or something else running on a Mac, such as Internet Sharing + Firewall. Then, the only added cost would be the software + an extra GB ethernet card -- certainly a lot cheaper than the $3000(?) US that I think I saw in the other response.

--
A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?