From: Mike Hebel <nimitz@nimitzbrood.com>
Subject: Re: Wandering off-topic II: gigabit routers
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 11:44:28 -0600
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On Thursday, December 2, 2004, at 11:07 AM, Stefan Jeglinski wrote:
 have the access is one thing but managing serious traffic full time is another.

Believe it or not, he has this connection, but AFAICT it's just a family with several computers. Browsing, e-mails and stuff, although I think the connection is geared toward multimedia delivery. But there is no real serving or anything. He gets along with his DLink604 just fine, but wants to take advantage of his bandwidth, whether that makes any practical sense or not.

Great $diety!  Please do your best to protect him from being zombied!  The last thing we need is another zombie on a high-speed connection...  ;-)

If all he's looking for is to take advantage of the bandwidth then I think the Mac with the second network adapter is the best route.  It's cheaper than anything he'd be likely to need and it fairly easy for him to configure.  Were he experienced I would suggest OpenBSD on something fast and hefty.  ALTQ for pf would allow him to regulate that bandwidth quite nicely.

As for taking advantage of the bandwidth there are several options - a good Usenet server would be one that I can think of but he'd probably want to be selective of what groups he carries.  That would certainly eat up his bandwidth. *grin*

Or he could do the questionable Lycos anti-spammer screensaver thing on multiple machines and slam some advertising sites.

Lots of options...

Mike Hebel
----
"I think we used too much!" - Chris Knight