From: Warren Michelsen <Warren@MDCCLXXVI.com>
Subject: WRT54G
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 11:23:25 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 10:16 AM -0500 12/2/04, chris issued a series of ones and zeros which decoded as:
> >Exactly. Much of the manufacturers' publicity regarding these devices made
>>me believe that people with DSL simply had an Ethernet feed coming from
>>their DSL modem. I came to equate DSL router with Ethernet router. Thanks
>>for setting me straight.
>
>There are two different things you could get.
>
>One is a DSL Modem/Router unit (which is really just a Router, but for
>sake of clarity, I'll refered to it as the combo). This unit the WAN port
>is a DSL interface.

I thought we'd established that this is NOT what I want. DSL is not Ethernet. My connection is Ethernet, NOT DSL.

>The other style is what you would get from LinkSys or DLink or Netgear,
>or any of those vendors. That is a simple Ethernet router (WAN port is an
>ethernet connection).

Sounds more like it. But I need to have several public IPs. Most such devices have only one public IP and do NAT for the client machines. Not that they *must* do NAT, that's just what's expected, as these devices are intended for connection of CLIENT machines to the Internet, not SERVERS.

Since my servers have always been co-located, I've never had to deal with routing. I've got some book learning to do!

Anyway, I've heard that some consumer devices (I think the WRT54G is among them) can be reprogrammed with third-party, non-Linksys firmware to convert it into a quite capable router. Anyone have any experience with this?

See: <http://www.google.com/search?q=WRT54G+firmware>