From: Mike Hebel <nimitz@nimitzbrood.com>
Subject: Re: WRT54G
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 12:42:53 -0600
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On Thursday, December 2, 2004, at 12:23 PM, Warren Michelsen wrote:

At 10:16 AM -0500 12/2/04, chris issued a series of ones and zeros which decoded as:
Exactly. Much of the manufacturers' publicity regarding these devices made
me believe that people with DSL simply had an Ethernet feed coming from
their DSL modem. I came to equate DSL router with Ethernet router. Thanks
for setting me straight.

There are two different things you could get.

One is a DSL Modem/Router unit (which is really just a Router, but for
sake of clarity, I'll refered to it as the combo). This unit the WAN port
is a DSL interface.

I thought we'd established that this is NOT what I want. DSL is not Ethernet. My connection is Ethernet, NOT DSL.

What he's referring to is that some "DSL" routers are actually designed to plug into the ethernet port of a DSL modem rather than directly into the phone line.  Linksys did have one - I'm googling for the exact model as we speak - SMC has one but you can not disable NAT on the box.

The model you list further down has a note about having am RJ-45 network port for the Internet which means that it's just an ethernet router with extra services on it.  I honestly think that if you call Linksys they'll give you the steps to turn off NAT which would make it a static router suitable for server work.

The other style is what you would get from LinkSys or DLink or Netgear,
or any of those vendors. That is a simple Ethernet router (WAN port is an
ethernet connection).

Sounds more like it. But I need to have several public IPs. Most such devices have only one public IP and do NAT for the client machines. Not that they *must* do NAT, that's just what's expected, as these devices are intended for connection of CLIENT machines to the Internet, not SERVERS.

I've found that most routers - even home ones - allow you to do things like port forwarding which allows servers to be run behind NAT.  I've only run into one such - the aforementioned SMC - that will not allow NAT to be turned off.

Since my servers have always been co-located, I've never had to deal with routing. I've got some book learning to do!

Actually I just static route my machines on my IPs.  The router passes the IPs in unchecked and I put internal firewalls/NAT services on them as needed.  DNS will be a pain if you run it yourself without reading up on it.  So will firewall rules and so forth.

Anyway, I've heard that some consumer devices (I think the WRT54G is among them) can be reprogrammed with third-party, non-Linksys firmware to convert it into a quite capable router. Anyone have any experience with this?

See: <http://www.google.com/search?q=WRT54G+firmware>

The firmware update is actually a Linux kernel with attendant files.  Linksys runs an embedded version of Linux under the covers so people have "firmware" for them out on the web.  Honestly though unless you're looking for something massively different I'd talk to Linksys before doing anything like that.  They may already have a free or low-cost solution - and pre-sales support is pretty good.

Mike
----
"I think we used too much!" - Chris Knight