From: chris <cb@mythtech.net>
Subject: Re: WRT54G
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 14:02:56 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
>>One is a DSL Modem/Router unit (which is really just a Router, but for
>>sake of clarity, I'll refered to it as the combo). This unit the WAN port
>>is a DSL interface.
>
>I thought we'd established that this is NOT what I want. DSL is not
>Ethernet. My connection is Ethernet, NOT DSL.

Correct, because you are not using DSL, you would not want one of the
combo units. These units are NOT common on the market. They are generally
only supplied via DSL providers.

>>The other style is what you would get from LinkSys or DLink or Netgear,
>>or any of those vendors. That is a simple Ethernet router (WAN port is an
>>ethernet connection).
>
>Sounds more like it. But I need to have several public IPs. Most such
>devices have only one public IP and do NAT for the client machines. Not
>that they *must* do NAT, that's just what's expected, as these devices are
>intended for connection of CLIENT machines to the Internet, not SERVERS.

Correct again. This is the *style* you want, but as you point out, they
are generally designed for one WAN address. If you want multiples
(Multi-Homing?) then you can't use one of the SoHo units *off the shelf*.

>Anyway, I've heard that some consumer devices (I think the WRT54G is among
>them) can be reprogrammed with third-party, non-Linksys firmware to
>convert it into a quite capable router. Anyone have any experience with this?

Correct, there are models out there that can be hacked with 3rd party
stuff to do extra things. I own a WRT54G, I bought it specifically
because it was hackable. However, I never got around to getting it much
beyond opening the box, so I can't say for sure how well it works.

I recently read an article about a model that all the ports can be dealt
with individually (WAN and the 4 LAN), and all ports can act as anything.
Basically, thru software hacks you could turn it into a 3 WAN 2 LAN
setup, or any other combo you wanted. Alas, I can't for the life of me
remember WHICH unit could do this. I do remember is was a SoHo model, so
if I had to take a guess, I'd say it is probably one of the LinkSys
models (LinkSys is now owned by Cisco and some of the Cisco engineering
has been working its way into the LinkSys line, so they are getting more
and more powerful and more and more flexible).

My guess is, if you do some basic searching on google for router hacking,
you will turn up more than enough info to point you in the right
direction.

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>