From: Warren Michelsen <Warren@MDCCLXXVI.com>
Subject: Re: WRT54G
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 13:19:03 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 12:42 PM -0600 12/2/04, Mike Hebel issued a series of ones and zeros which decoded as:
>On Thursday, December 2, 2004, at 12:23 PM, Warren Michelsen wrote:
>

>>>One is a DSL Modem/Router unit (which is really just a Router, but for
>>>sake of clarity, I'll refered to it as the combo). This unit the WAN port
>>>is a DSL interface.
>>
>>I thought we'd established that this is NOT what I want. DSL is not Ethernet. My connection is Ethernet, NOT DSL.
>
>What he's referring to is that some "DSL" routers are actually designed to plug into the ethernet port of a DSL modem rather than directly into the phone line.

I'm sure some are but he specifically said the WAN port is DSL.

>I've found that most routers - even home ones - allow you to do things like port forwarding which allows servers to be run behind NAT.

I need more than that. I run twp web servers, so simply forwarding port 80 to somewhere is not going to cut it. I need multiple, public IPs to show.

>Actually I just static route my machines on my IPs.  The router passes the IPs in unchecked

That sounds like what I need.

>and I put internal firewalls/NAT services on them as needed.

? "Them' meaning IPs? You can block given ports and incoming IPs from reaching your network IPs?

I have a /28 subnet. When configuring machines on my subnet, I use xx.xx.xx.129 as the gateway address. If I have my own router, will this be the address of the LAN port on it?