From: chris <cb@mythtech.net>
Subject: Re: WRT54G
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 15:53:54 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
>Actually, some of the routers I've seen can not only port forward, but
>can do it based on referring URL as well.

It was pointed out to me that I used the wrong term here. Not being a web
expert, I called it the "Referring URL". I wasn't aware that meant
something different then what I planned.

What I should have said was: I've seen ones that can forward based on the
Hostname.

Basically, I've seen ones that can do the same thing many web servers can
do. You put in a URL, it hits the router, parses the request, figures out
what domain you want, and where that domain is, and forwards to the
correct place. Much as many web servers can do to let them host multiple
sites on the same server.

I just wanted to make the correction because apparently "Referrer" means
something entirely different in web speak. So its probably a good idea to
know that before you start looking for something and get told it can't do
it, when it really CAN you just used the wrong word and thus were
unknowingly asking for a totally different ability.

And now that we are WAY off topic for a SIMS list... I'll be quiet now.
:-)

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>