Mailing List Message #14895
From: Ron Risley <>
Subject: Re: LinkSys Routers
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 19:27:06 -0800
To: SIMS Discussions <>
At 10:17 -0700 12/1/04, Warren Michelsen opined:
>I note that you wrote "firewall option". Is that as in "extra-cost option"? Must a Linksys device be ordered with the option or is the option installed via a firmware upgrade or what?

The Linksys WRT54G, for one, runs Linux. The firmware is open source, and several variations of it are available that offer different functionality. I've implemented some pretty complex router/firewall configurations using the Sveasoft firmware and IP Tables.

Since it's all open source, there's no extra cost -- unless you consider your time to be worth something.

Ron Risley