Mailing List Message #14899
From: Bill Cole <>
Subject: Re: Mail to me bouncing
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:33:33 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <>
At 8:55 PM -0500 12/20/04, Aron S. Spencer  imposed structure on a stream of electrons, yielding:
Somebody at is trying to send email to me and getting the following:
(Was addressed to
Delivery failed
550 not local host, not a gateway

What can I do to fix this?

Make the machine you call accept mail for you.

That error message is not a SIMS message. All your other MX's point to one machine that is a SIMS host and seems to be having some DNS problems, to the point that it is taking a long time (about a minute) to answer the EHLO command, and that MAY be causing some senders to time out. If they manage to get back to mail3, they get this:

toaster:/simslogs root# telnet 25
Connected to
Escape character is '^]'.
220 Welcome to
ehlo says hello
250-SIZE 12582912
250 EXPN
mail from:<>
250 ok
rcpt to:<>
550 not local host, not a gateway

If you can get that machine to accept and forward mail for you, this particular failure will go away.

I would also suggest figuring out why your main mail server is taking a minute to resolve the name given in a EHLO command.

Bill Cole