From: Alan Munn <amunn@msu.edu>
Subject: Re: Error 450 rejections
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 11:59:05 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 10:53 PM -0500 2/11/05, Alan Munn issued a series of ones and zeros which decoded as:

Sorry, that's a bit of confusion that I created when I sent my original message.  I substituted the real address with a fake one in my original message.

The real address is colloq-request (as showed up in the log transcript that I posted.  This account does exist and is mirrored to my account.

Very well. I think the problem is your DNS. When I try to look up the MX record >for montague.lin.msu.edu, I find none. If the 'verify sender address' mechanism >cannot find a MX record, it doesn't know which server to use to verify the >sending address colloq-request@montague.lin.msu.edu. Some servers, in the >absence of a MX record, will use an A record. But absence of a MX record is a >possible spam indicator. montague.lin.msu.edu needs a proper MX record.

Great, this makes sense, and is something that I can get fixed locally.

Thanks a lot for you help.

--
Alan Munn                                                   amunn@msu.edu
Department of Linguistics                                   amunn@acm.org