From: Bob Smith <lists@accurateimage.org>
Subject: Re: Receiving mail on alternate ports
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 16:06:24 -0600
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>

On Mar 6, 2005, at 3:36 PM, billc_lists@greenbuilder.com wrote:

I don't know if port 25 is blocked for them, but many of them have trouble sending mail through us.

Yes SBC is blocking port 25.  Supposedly little ole Waco TX was the first market where they started doing so.  It started maybe last November or so here. A friend who uses my server from CA via an SBC line can no longer connect to SMTP on my SIMS server as of maybe a month ago.  A number of other ISPs are doing the same on their dynamically assigned lines.   It's a way to fight back against all the hijacked machines that unknowingly act as relays for viruses and spam.  My servers are connected to a static IP SBC line and those are not blocked in any way.

I still run SIMS for my main mail server.  I have OS-X server on another system for other services.  It's behind my firewall.  I simply setup port forwarding to let a non standard port pass to port 25 on the OS-X box and set it up for SMTP relay only; and only to authorized users.  Users outside of my network simply send through that server by talking on the alternate port and receive via POP as always on the SIMS box.

You could certainly do the same with a second very simple SIMS box.  It may be possible to get SIMS to communicate on more than one port at once but I didn't venture down that road.  Maybe this is a way to slowly move me over to some sort of mail system on OS-X.  So far, SIMS isn't broke so why fix it.

Bob Smith

Accurate Image Bob Smith Photographer Waco Texas USA
http://www.accurateimage.org