From: Bob Smith <lists@accurateimage.org>
Subject: Re: Receiving mail on alternate ports
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 17:44:05 -0600
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>

On Mar 6, 2005, at 4:26 PM, billc_lists@greenbuilder.com wrote:

Hmmm. So you have an OSX box receive just by an IP and a non-standard port?

not receiving mail, just accepting SMTP connections from users wishing to send through that server.

 How do you authenticate or otherwise check that they're actually supposed to be sending through you?

I've turned SMTP authentication on.  The only users that log-in via their username and password as known to the OS-X box can make a connection.  The user has to activate SMTP authorization in their email client and switch SMTP service to the alternate port.  They just enter a couple of settings once and can forget it.  A side benefit of this setup is that they no longer have to do the check mail before sending routine that SIMS required.

The hardest part will probably be teaching all my clients how to configure Outlook, Outlook Express, and whatever other mail clients they're using to send on the correct port.  Ugh.

I just have a handful of users but they are on rather varied systems.  I sent an email out with a few screen shots of what to set in common email programs.  Apparently everyone managed ok as I've had no hiccups at all since configuring the system this way.

Bob Smith

Accurate Image Bob Smith Photographer Waco Texas USA
http://www.accurateimage.org