From: <billc_lists@greenbuilder.com>
Subject: Re: Error Message: Can anyone help?
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 05:44:48 -0600
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 5:21 AM -0600 3/9/05, Ron Johnson wrote:
Hi fellow listers,

It's been quite a while since I last posted to this list, but I need some assistance for a friend of mine who is *very* frustrated.

Recently, he's been having a problem when he tries to send eMail from his account on my server.  He can retrieve mail just fine, but can't seem to send it.  He gets the following error message, after sending mail:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.DakotaRainbow.com', Server: 'mail.DakotaRainbow.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

He is using Outlook Express, running Windoze 98 SE, and has AVG Anti-Virus Version 7 installed on his PC.  This error seems to me like some sort of connection error -- don't know if it is a problem which exists on my end, or on his.  I've made no changes to his account recently, everything seems correct on the server machine, and my roommate, and I, both can send and receive just fine.

Any hints, suggestions, tips, etc.?  TIA

It's quite possible that something has changed at his ISP.

SBC is now blocking port 25 on many of its systems.  We've run into it several times here with clients in Texas and California, as has Bob Smith.

See Bob's recent replies to my query about receiving on alternate ports for a possible work around.

You might also want to peruse the info on http://helpdesk.wisc.edu/page.php?id=2786  or similar pages about how to configure various email clients to use alternative ports.

--
Bill Christensen
<http://greenbuilder.com/contact/>