From: <billc_lists@greenbuilder.com>
Subject: Re: Had to disable Verify Return Paths
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 15:53:05 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 3:59 PM +0100 4/7/05, Heath wrote:
odd one...

everything been working fine till about mid-day today when my server stopped sending mail. Basically it appeared to be waiting for something???

Using Communigator I noted that the SMTP monitor said:  contacting Black List and various entries verifying return paths.

I interrupted the services and temporarily turned off USE BLACKLISTS, to no avail...turned them back on. However turning off Verify Return Paths seems to let the mail through, not sure why.

Can anyone think of a reason why this would suddenly happen and how I go about rectifying it?

If I recall, Verify Return Paths works on both incoming and out going.

Hopefully it wasn't a case of an infected machine sending out spam with invalid returns.  I'd turn it back on and see if the problem occurs again,then examine some of the mail in the queue. Just for safety.

--
Bill Christensen
<http://greenbuilder.com/contact/>