From: Bill Cole <listbill@scconsult.com>
Subject: Re: Had to disable Verify Return Paths
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 20:22:33 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 3:59 PM +0100 4/7/05, Heath  imposed structure on a stream of electrons, yielding:
odd one...

everything been working fine till about mid-day today when my server stopped sending mail. Basically it appeared to be waiting for something???

Using Communigator I noted that the SMTP monitor said:  contacting Black List and various entries verifying return paths.

I interrupted the services and temporarily turned off USE BLACKLISTS, to no avail...turned them back on. However turning off Verify Return Paths seems to let the mail through, not sure why.

Can anyone think of a reason why this would suddenly happen and how I go about rectifying it?

It sounds like a DNS problem. Verify Return Paths checks the domain part of each outgoing message's envelope sender address in DNS to see if it has a valid MX or A record. If DNS responds at all, the acceptance or rejection happens right hen. If DNS is very slow, the mail is very slow to go through. If your system is pointed to a DNS server that is down, it is likely to take 2 minutes (unless you've done some fiddling with something like IPNetTuner) before giving up on that server and trying another one (which it will only do if you have another one configured.)