From: Joe Laffey <joe@laffeycomputer.com>
Subject: Re: [OT] Alternate MTAs [was Blacklist Setting]
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 10:04:16 -0500 (CDT)
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, Dave Pooser wrote:

On the other hand, I'm just a bit of free time away from migrating
off of SIMS, and I expect that Tiger will make that simpler by having
a more current version of Postfix than Panther.

I'm currently using CGPro, and hang out on this list only because it's where
I learned 90% of what I know about SMTP and anti-spam techniques. (Probably
80% of what I know about SMTP and anti-spam techniques came courtesy of one
Bill Cole, incidentally, and I hope you'll hang out here even after you move
on to another email program.)

That said, I'm looking at handing off SMTP duties to Exim; I looked at
Postfix but I thought Exim's ACLs made it a better choice because there are
more opportunities to reject spam vs. accept and then bounce/bitbucket/other
sub-optimal solution. Is there a reason that you're looking at Postfix over
Exim?

Been using Postfix for years here. It provides some pretty in-depth spam control, with chances to reject/accept, etc. at many stages along the way. Also, there are a number of reasons you would not actually want to reject the message until the whole thing is received (see the postfix mailing list archivers for this).

BTW, if you need POP and IMAP, etc. consider Courier (courier-mta.org) as well. I have been very happy with it for about 2.5 years. It can be strict with RFC enforcement, but you can change all of those strictness levels to suit your needs.

--
Joe Laffey                |        Visual Effects for Film and Video
LAFFEY Computer Imaging   |        ---------------------------------