From: Joe Laffey <joe@laffeycomputer.com>
Subject: Re: [OT] Alternate MTAs
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 13:34:56 -0500 (CDT)
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, dale wrote:

For anyone interested in a commercial MTA, check out SurgeMail - it is commercial, has a lot of nice features, web interface, built in webmail, and with the 3.1 version, they are bundling in their previously optional filesharing/calendar app - SurgePlus. And for pretty decent prices I think - http://www.surgemail.com/surgemail/pricing.htm

For example:
     5 user license - $Free
 100 user license - $470
1000 user license - $570 and so forth.

Perhaps it is because I am a C coder and actually can and do modify OSS software, but I just don't see the point in using a commercial MTA when there are so many excellent, proven free ones. It's not like all we have is sendmail anymore. I hate being at the mercy of some closed source developer who can take months to fix a one line security flaw I could patch myself in 2 minutes.

--
Joe Laffey                |        Visual Effects for Film and Video
LAFFEY Computer Imaging   |        ---------------------------------