From: Howard Shere <hshere@greendragon.com>
Subject: Re: [OT] Alternate MTAs
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 14:01:57 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>

On Apr 19, 2005, at 1:34 PM, Joe Laffey wrote:

For anyone interested in a commercial MTA, check out SurgeMail - it is commercial, has a lot of nice features, web interface, built in webmail, and with the 3.1 version, they are bundling in their previously optional filesharing/calendar app - SurgePlus. And for pretty decent prices I think - http://www.surgemail.com/surgemail/pricing.htm

For example:
     5 user license - $Free
 100 user license - $470
1000 user license - $570 and so forth.

Perhaps it is because I am a C coder and actually can and do modify OSS software, but I just don't see the point in using a commercial MTA when there are so many excellent, proven free ones. It's not like all we have is sendmail anymore. I hate being at the mercy of some closed source developer who can take months to fix a one line security flaw I could patch myself in 2 minutes.

it is all a matter of skill and experience. It took me a week...from dawn to dusk to setup postfix-cyrus-mysql-sasl and get everything exactly right. It does all the above stuff and it is free. i could probably setup a new machine with all this stuff in far less time the 2nd time, but the average programmer with no linux experience would have trouble.

A pre-built package with a UI is good if you don't want to have to know how everything works.

On the other hand, I am doing this for a living now, so if someone wants to pay me to set it up instead of buying a product or doing it themselves, I can do that. It would probably cost less than the 1000 user license above to hire me to take care of this for you.

Howard Shere
http://blogs.greendragon.com/index.php/gdc
Altair 8800a to Mac OS X so far...