From: Dave Pooser <dave-cgpro@pooserville.com>
Subject: Re: [OT] Alternate MTAs [was Blacklist Setting]
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 15:03:30 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
> Now is the time to clear up something that has confused me - what is
> cyrus and how does it fit into the postfix (or other MTA) scheme?

Postfix (like Exim, like Sendmail) does SMTP.

Cyrus (like Courier) does POP/IMAP

Squirrelmail provides a Web interface for POP/IMAP.

So an incoming message would be received by Postfix and dropped into the
Cyrus datastore (maildir by default I believe).

Then you would come along with Entourage and connect to Cyrus to receive
your mail. When you reply to a message, that would go out via Postfix.
--
Dave Pooser
Cat-Herder-in-Chief