From: Joe Laffey <joe@laffeycomputer.com>
Subject: Re: [OT] Alternate MTAs [was Blacklist Setting]
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 15:38:10 -0500 (CDT)
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, Stefan Jeglinski wrote:

Using the web interface for cyrus (web-cyradm)

Now is the time to clear up something that has confused me - what is cyrus and how does it fit into the postfix (or other MTA) scheme?

Postfix is SMTP only. So you need something else to handle the POP/IMAP or webmail. These are all kind of "grafted on" to postfix, though. Which is why I choose to use Courier (fully integrated, though can be used independently, or even with postfix) for boxes requiring anything other than SMTP. For SMTP alone I like postfix. But I have been slowly moving towards courier simply from a maintenance standpoint. Maintaining a single server package on multiple machines is easier than keeping track of more that one. This is actually why we now use NetBSD for everything as well. It will run on any hardware and it is THE SAME. With, say, linux, every distro is different. Som distros run on some hardware but not on others, etc.

--
Joe Laffey                |        Visual Effects for Film and Video
LAFFEY Computer Imaging   |        ---------------------------------