From: The Count of CipherSpace <CountZeroI@CipherSpace.org.in>
Subject: Re: e-mail recall?
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 21:19:53 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>, Stefan Jeglinski <jeglin@4pi.com>
Stefan Jeglinski at 2005-04-25 18:02 from jeglin@4pi.com wrote:

>I just got 3 e-mails in a row from a hapless Outlook (I assume) user.
>The first was the message. The second was just a message that said
>
> The sender would like to recall the message, "<subject>".
>
>where "<subject>" is just the name of the subject header in the first e-mail.
>
>The 3rd was obviously the edited e-mail she had intended to send.
>
>All of it came was sent out via their Exchange server. The time
>stamps were the same on all three, to the minute anyway, so there
>appeared to be some degree of automation to it.
>
>What is Outlook trying to do here? Is it supposed to be able to reach
>into recipient's e-mail boxes and delete ("recall") certain e-mails
>and replace them with others after the fact? Sounds far-fetched but I

Yes.  The Exchange/Outlook combination allows this;  but, let me assure
it (a) only works if everyone is on the same Exchange server *_and_* is
using Outlook *_in_* corporate/workgroup mode (b) it doesn't work very
well.  A small point, it doesn't "replace" what it "takes out", basically
it removes and then you send another message.

Warren Michelsen at 2005-04-25 18:57 from Warren@MDCCLXXVI.com wrote:

>it can recall sent messages before they are read (leaving a note to the
>recipient that a message was recalled).

It is also possible to recall a message "silently".  Then again it is
also possible to ensure that the person thinks that they have
successfully recalled the message;  but, you still end up with a copy of
it.  It is also possible that Exchange/Outlook just screws up.