From: Bill Cole <listbill@scconsult.com>
Subject: Re: sending AOL mail problems (again)
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 08:00:15 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 9:41 AM +0100 4/28/05, Heath  imposed structure on a stream of electrons, yielding:
 -- Bill Cole bill@scconsult.com
 Really? AOL email addresses or AOL network space?

 AOL does a truly astounding job of controlling the spam coming out of their *network* but they can't stop people elsewhere from forging AOL email addresses onto spam.

ok point taken, I'll put me wild accusation brush down ;)

Actually its more a reality that the addresses are probably forgeries...

 AOL only uses their own internal lists and systems. One such is the 'this is spam' button that AOL users can punch at will on any mail. AOL does not discuss their parameters for tuning complaints into shunning, but that IS an automatic process.

ahhhhhhhh

so what if I have an auto forward on a user@domain I handle, going out to an AOL user...who uses this button to register SPAM. Would that put my server mail.eeeff.net in the firing line?

Yes.

This is an issue that AOL's mail system and spam control gurus are definitely aware of and seeking to solve. I would not be surprised to see a push from them in the very near future (along with other large ISP's) to establish a real standard for identifying mail that has been forwarded. In fact, I'd be surprised to not see something out of the Mail Mafia[0] on that issue this year.

....think we are slowly getting to the bottom of this problem! :)

To be honest the user in questions must get about 98 per cent SPAM via his hosted address on my box...I'll bet thats the reason behind all this.

Almost certainly.

[0] I don't recall the official name, but there's a slightly disturbing collaborative effort between AOL, MS, Yahoo, Earthlink, and Outblaze to deal with mail policy and best practice issues outside and/or ahead of the sclerotic IETF standards system.