From: <billc_lists@greenbuilder.com>
Subject: Re: Undeliverable spam sent to me
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 11:04:27 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 8:07 AM -0400 5/17/05, Randy Zumwalde wrote:
Anyway to prevent these emails from coming through?
What is happening is someone is sending a boat load of spam
with our email address, salesinfo,  looking like the sender.  So
all the undeliverables get sent to us even though we didn't send anything.
Salesinfo emails get forwarded to the VP of the company so he's not happy
getting 100's of undeliverables.
Is there any kind of router entry I can do to prevent this?

Two things which may help, though neither work directly on SIMS:

1) SPF entries in your DNS.  see http://spf.pobox.com/

This will allow receiving MTAs to see that the spam/viruses really are NOT from a server which is allowed to send from your domain name, and therefore not back bounce to you.

2) I use ASSP (http://assp.sourceforge.net) as an anti-spam content filter.  With it you can write a RegEx to catch what they call "spam bombs" like this.  I don't think that's possible with the SIMS router...
--
Bill Christensen
<http://greenbuilder.com/contact/>