From: Warren Michelsen <Warren@MDCCLXXVI.com>
Subject: = at line ends
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 15:45:51 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
What is it that causes equals signs to appear at the ends of long lines? Sometimes it's =2D and other times, just =.

When something limits line length like this by forcing line breaks, shouldn't it be smart enough not to add breaks -- equals and a return -- in the middle of a html tag or URL?

The case which got me wondering is a html message with Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable. None of the encoded characters were non-ASCII so I see no reason why it was quoted-printable in the first place.

In any case, something along the line truncated many lines and broke URLs and links in the process by causing malformed tags and URLs, inasmuch as =[carriage-return] and another character is not valid quoted printable and cannot be decoded. So the end result is lots of lines ending with equals signs.

Is the culprit in these situations typically the sending server?