From: Timothy Binder <lists@cyberthorn.net>
Subject: Re: SIMS on Multiple Port
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 20:11:29 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On Jun 9, 2005, at 12:54 PM, michael@whiterose.org wrote:

-----------------
From: Andrew Schmiechen aschmiechen@discovercolor.com

The local cable service has recently decided to start blocking outgoing port
25 connections to anything other than their mail servers.  Is there a way to
configure SIMS to listen on multiple ports so I can have my remote users
continue to send through our server?

I don't think that SIMS can listen to two ports at once, but there are lots
of ways to solve the problem.  For instance, if you have a router that does
NAT, you can map router:10025 to mailserver:25, and then have the clients
connect to the external address of the router.  For a while I ran an OSX
program call PortRedirector on my OSX webserver to do that to my OS 9 SIMS
box, but my circumstances no longer require that.

If Andrew's router doesn't do this, then IPNetRouter definitely works under OS 9 -- it's what I sued to use. As you mention, there are alternatives for X, as well.

However, I suggest using port 587, since that's a proposed (recommended?) new standard for email submission. See RFC 2476 at <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2476.txt>:

3.  Message Submission

3.1.  Submission Identification

   Port 587 is reserved for email message submission as specified in
   this document.  Messages received on this port are defined to be
   submissions.  The protocol used is ESMTP [SMTP-MTA, ESMTP], with
   additional restrictions as specified here.

   While most email clients and servers can be configured to use port
   587 instead of 25, there are cases where this is not possible or
   convenient.  A site MAY choose to use port 25 for message submission,
   by designating some hosts to be MSAs and others to be MTAs.

Hope this helps,
Tim