De: Stefan Jeglinski <jeglin@4pi.com>
Sujet: why no envelope headers in e-mail?
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 13:02:01 -0400
A: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
Not sure the question is phrased correctly, but I have wondered about this for a while.

When an MTA makes a connection, it sends an e-mail via an envelope address, no? There is no necessary correlation between this envelope address and the recipient's To address. IOW, joe@foo.bar can end up with an e-mail in his inbox that appears to have been sent "To" sam@foo.bar, even if sam doesn't exist. This is an endless source of confusion to recipients that don't know how things work. And obviously I don't quite know how it works either.

Do all MTAs necessarily transmit the envelope address for display? The only way SIMS can deliver is when it gets a legit envelope address, no? In Eudora, there is a header called x-envelope I can turn on, but no envelope header appears in received e-mail that I can tell.

What really determines how an end-user can see the envelope address, if ever at all?

Stefan Jeglinski
S'abonner aux messages S'abonner aux sommaires S'abonner aux indexes Se désabonner Ecrire un email au responsable de la liste