From: Michael Croft <michael@whiterose.org>
Subject: Re: limiting incoming attachments?
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 14:35:04 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 2:25 PM -0400 7/28/05, Charles Mangin wrote:
>is there any way to limit the size of incoming attachments? i'd like
>to allow people to have 20 meg mailboxes, but limit them to 5 meg
>attachments, as specific clients on slow connections have trouble
>with any email larger than about 5 megs - the client times out while
>downloading, and the server spins and spins resending the same few
>megs of data... burning bandwidth and slowing the server for everyone
>else.
>
>i doubt there's any way to prevent this, short of limiting her
>mailbox size to 5 megs, but i wonder if the group has any suggestions.

While the client can take care of it on the client side, there are also
solutions that involve some sort of pre-processing.  You could do it
strictly on OS 9 (or less) with macjordomo and a one-person list, but if
the client isn't bright enough to set "skip messages over __ K" (or the
non-Eudora equivalent), then can you really expect them to configure a
different reply-to address from the one they actually check?

--
Michael Croft       http://www.whiterose.org/michael
SAM: It's 106 miles to the Crack of Doom. We've got a magic ring,