From: <billc_lists@greenbuilder.com>
Subject: Re: limiting incoming attachments?
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 17:42:35 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 2:25 PM -0400 7/28/05, Charles Mangin wrote:
is there any way to limit the size of incoming attachments? i'd like to allow people to have 20 meg mailboxes, but limit them to 5 meg attachments, as specific clients on slow connections have trouble with any email larger than about 5 megs - the client times out while downloading, and the server spins and spins resending the same few megs of data... burning bandwidth and slowing the server for everyone  else.

i doubt there's any way to prevent this, short of limiting her mailbox size to 5 megs, but i wonder if the group has any suggestions.

You might be able to hack a copy of StripMime - a MacPerl script - to check the size of the attachment.  I use it to strip attachments off messages bound for my listserv, as I got tired of having mail get rejected and then having to explain to users that they ARE in fact sending attachements when they send html mail, styled text, .vcfs, etc.

I don't know if there's a way to check message or attachment size  in Perl, though I suspect there probably is.

The problem with using "skip messages over___ k" in Eudora etc is that will still leave the large attachment on the server... and if you set a 20mb limit, it'll probably bump into that in short order. Unless you're manually clearing the larger ones.

I use MailSiphon for checking/deleting hung mail a lot. It seems to happen to my Entourage and Outlook users (both of which we officially don't support) on large attachments on a more frequent basis lately. Anyone else seeing this?

Let me know if you want a copy of StripMime as hacked by another SIMS user to work on SIMS.

--
Bill Christensen
<http://greenbuilder.com/contact/>