From: Warren Michelsen <Warren@MDCCLXXVI.com>
Subject: Re: Major OOPS in SIMS...:-(
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 10:51:37 -0700
To: screw databases <screwdatabases@hotmail.com>, SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 6:16 AM -0700 8/23/05, screw databases sent email containing:
>I think I performed a major oops on my SIMS server last week.
>
>I deleted the account 'postmaster' and it immediately asked me for a password for that account, and now it won't let me on!!

If you delete 'postmaster, SIMS automatically creates a new postmaster account for you -- without a password. You should probably be able to log into SIMS as postmaster by leaving the password blank.

If that doesn't work, \run Communigator to set the password.

>IS it possible to 'delete yourself' off the sims server??

Certainly.

>If so, can I re-establish it without re-installing SIMS??

Yup.

>If not, can I access the router/account list from the finder, so I don't have to start all over from scratch??
>
>Currently SIMS asks for a username/password to access the 'settings' area every time I try to log on to it. (via the web interface).

Try leaving the password blank and log in that way. If that doesn't work, use Communigator.

>While my wife's account is working fine, mine is not, and I can no longer access the SIMS server setup screens.  Is there a way around this from the finder?

I long ago assigned full admin abilities to an account other than postmaster and deleted the postmaster account on my SIMS box. I figure no one will EVER guess the postmaster password if these is no such account. Of course, I routed postmaster to another account in the router so as to be able to get postmaster mail.

But SIMS requires a postmaster account and doesn't care if 'postmaster' mail is accepted via router. It creates a new postmaster anyway.

So now my postmaster account has a really, really long gibberish password that even I don't know, and no admin permissions anyway. I continue to admin via another account.

BTW, I think the postmaster account may still be in your trash, if you haven't emptied it since deleting the account. Drag it from the trash back to the accounts folder and you may recover that way.