From: Warren Michelsen <Warren@MDCCLXXVI.com>
Subject: Re: Major OOPS in SIMS...:-(
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 10:47:52 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 11:08 AM -0600 9/5/05, Lewis Butler sent email containing:
>On 04 Sep 2005, at 06:18 , Warren Michelsen wrote:

>>>This is because the RFCs require postmaster for all domains that receive mail.
>>>

>>But the RFC does not require that there be a 'postmaster' account.
>
>Yes, they do.

No, they don't.

>postmaster@<doamin.tld> must exist (that is, accept mail) for all domains that receive or send mail

'Existing' and accepting mail are two different things, not necessarily related. Accounts can exist and not accept mail while mail can be accepted for non-existent accounts.  The latter is easily accomplished with a router entry. The 'postmaster' account need not exist per any RFC. Unless, of course, you can provide a citation to show otherwise. To my knowledge, the requirement is to ACCEPT mail addressed to postmaster.

>>In my case, I routed mail for 'postmaster' to another account -- it would be received. SIMS nonetheless recreated the missing postmaster account.
>
>the sims app can't know about your routing table,

That's a silly statement. SIMS does 'know about' my routing table. It creates and maintains the routing table. And consults it for each incoming and outgoing email.

>a nd if you change your routing table, there has to be a postmaster account to receive the mail.

No, postmaster can be routed to any account. It certainly does not have to be called 'postmaster'.

I appreciate that SIMS is careful to ensure that mail can be received for 'postmaster' but an account named postmaster is not required to do so. End of discussion.

Unless you have a citation from an RFC which says an account named 'postmaster' must exist, I'll not comment further.