From: Jeff Folk <jfolk@qzoneinc.com>
Subject: Re: Major OOPS in SIMS...:-(
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 14:41:39 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
You are both correct... sort of. How long has Mr. Michelsen been running SIMS? I started running SIMS in 1998 (replacing AIMS-EIMS freeware, when SIMS development was still active). And, for a blast from the past, MacTech still has the original releases online:

beta <http://www.mactech.com/news/?p=1000428>

v 1.5 <http://www.mactech.com/news/?p=1000720> but I digress...

The RFCs do not stipulate that there be a postmaster ACCOUNT, mail systems must ACCEPT mail for postmaster. That being said, SIMS was originally designed to be RFC compliant 'out of the box' for budding mail system admins like myself, automatically creating a postmaster account that served double duty -- administration of the server AND accepting mail for postmaster.

I have long since deleted my original documentation for SIMS, but I remember that it specifically stated that if the postmaster account was deleted, a new account would be recreated at next run time, as this is the account designed to be the administrator of the system. --Not much of a stretch there, eh?

Even so, the current documentation makes enough references to the postmaster ACCOUNT as administrator, and setting the user 'postmaster' up in your Mac Users and Groups control panel, setting program linking, and such for program administration, that one should give pause to deleting such an admin account. Should you choose to apply advanced techniques, such as re-routing postmaster mail and deleting admin accounts, you should make sure you have an advanced understanding of the consequences. Your lesson is learned.

Lucky SIMS makes for easy recovery of this blunder by recreating the postmaster account with a <null> password, even if that IS a HUGE security risk for a SMTP daemon...

Let us move on, shall we? Anyone know where I can download a fresh copy of Quid Pro Quo 2.1.3? or QPQ Plus? My copy has been crashing with a Type 2 error twelve times a day, and I think my installer is v2.1.2 that is vulnerable to the CodeRed crashes we are seeing a rise in again...

Kind regards;
Jeff