From: chris <cb@mythtech.net>
Subject: Re: Client hosts list...
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 10:40:05 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
>I am trying to access my mail server from work, and SIMS constantly
>rejects incoming mail, (from me that is) with a 'we do not relay'
>message.  I can get around this by checking mail before sending (ie it
>verifies my ip and keeps it open briefly), but this is a pain, as often
>messages need to be sent throughout the day.
>
>I obtained the ip range from work, and entered this in the SMTP
>'clients' list.  I even included the specific ip of my machine, but it
>still will not recognize it as a client.
>
>Have I configured it incorrectly??
>
>Here is what I have:
>
>172.16.17.1 - 172.16.17.200
>172.16.17.83
>
>posted in the 'client hosts' section.

The 172.16.x.x range is a private IP range. I can bet what your SIMS
server is seeing is the public IP of your firewall. That is the IP
address you need to put into the client list.

Probably the easiest way to figure out what that IP is, is to go to
www.whatismyip.com That site will tell you what the public IP address
appears to be.

Your other option is to use an email client that supports SMTP
Authentication and then just turn on that feature in your client. It is
already on in SIMS (although, if you do not turn on the Advertise Auth in
SIMS some email clients will not attempt it)

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>