From: Bill Cole <listbill@scconsult.com>
Subject: Re: PROBLEM -> POP ERROR : ACCOUNT IN USE -->> MS OUTLOOK
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 19:41:34 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 6:18 AM -0700 9/21/05, Jorge  imposed structure on a stream of electrons, yielding:
Hello,

All the pc users are getting this message very often. They use ms-outlook.
Mac users have no problem at all. Even more, when I try to check a locked
account (one that a pc can't read) I use a Mac, and the mac seems to
"unlock" the account as the problem disapears... ???

I have to say this is SIMS-PPC-18b9d14 and is running in classic Mode on a
OSX 10.3.9 iMac G3 slot-in.
All I had to do to make it work was changing
MAILSERVER=-AUTOMATIC-
MAILSERVER=-NO-
In /etc/hostconfig

Note that you will likely have no way for anything on the OS X side of the machine to send mail out as a result, except direct SMTP to some other machine. If you are happy with it that way and have not had the stability problems others have reported for SIMS running that way, that's a good thing.

I have two other SIMS running like this without problems, but their clients
are all macs.

Any idea ? What's going on ?

The Mac relationship is largely coincidental. Warren's explanation is right on target: Microsoft doesn't handle session tear-down correctly in its mail clients and SIMS sometimes doesn't notice them going away improperly, and the result is that mailboxes get left open until the old POP session times out.

--
Bill Cole
bill@scconsult.com