From: David Thornton <davidthornton@myrealbox.com>
Subject: Re: Problems with Attachments
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 12:24:39 -0500
To: SIMS List <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
>> Actually I've got two issues:
>> 1. We've been having sporadic weirdness with SIMS passing along messages
>> with attachments. Such messages will usually go to other users on the system
>> with no problem, but if the recipient is in another domain, forget it. Any
>> clues as to what to look for or what might be going on?
>
> Does this happen with all other domains or just select ones? What kind of
> attachment is it? Many other mail servers are now set to refuse
> attachments of certain types (in particular, .exe and similar). Are you
> sure the problem isn't simply that the other mail server is flagging the
> attachment as bad and rejecting it?

The attachments are primarily images; I think a very small number would be
.exe files; Mac users experience it as often as PC users. G-mail users seem
to be the ones that come up particularly often, but it happens to other
domains as well.

>> 2. Another thing that is a bit annoying is the user folders; I have the
>> accounts set to store all mail in folder only, and the mailbox size set at
>> unlimited for all the users. The clients (mix of OS 9 & OS X Entourage and
>> Outlook on Windows XP) are all set up to collect their mail and leave it on
>> the server, but delete it after 10 days. Some of the user folders have huge
>> amounts of files in them; one folder I checked last night had over 15,000
>> files in it, totaling about 1.2GB. Is there a server-side setting that I can
>> change to reduce the number of files that are stored on the server? It seems
>> like Finder actions are really slow (OS 9.1 on a G3-upgraded 9600), and I
>> suspect that it's not dealing well with the number of files on the drive.
>> Any suggestions?
>
> You have SIMS set for Unlimited mailbox size... but it seems you don't
> actually want it to be unlimited. Change it to a smaller size. Or, make
> sure the offending users haven't changed their mail client to allowing
> email to stay on the server for more than 10 days. Possibly some of those
> clients have set it to leave on the server forever (15,000 files in 10
> days would be 1500 emails per day... those people must have some pretty
> serious email activity if that number is really being collected in 10
> days time)

My client (Entourage 11.1 on OS 10.3.9) is set up to delete messages from
the server when they are picked up (leave a copy on server is NOT checked),
yet my account folder had 500+ messages dating back to 2003. (This server is
used in a non-profit outfit, and I do volunteer admin, so I don't get much
mail at all through this system.) Shouldn't the server be dumping the files
associated with messages that have been downloaded to the client? Seems odd
that in my case it's still hanging onto them.
--
Dave