From: chris <cb@mythtech.net>
Subject: Re: Problems with Attachments
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 13:45:42 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
>The attachments are primarily images; I think a very small number would be
>.exe files; Mac users experience it as often as PC users. G-mail users seem
>to be the ones that come up particularly often, but it happens to other
>domains as well.

Are they possibly being rejected because they are too large? Many ISPs
and mail providers won't accept attachments larger than a certain size,
and often that is fairly small (1-5 MB, usually closer to the 5 MB).

images, even JPEGs are often large these days. Too many people take pics
with their 5 MP camera and then try to send 6 multi megabyte images to
someone over email. They don't know about the concept of resizing the
picture.

>My client (Entourage 11.1 on OS 10.3.9) is set up to delete messages from
>the server when they are picked up (leave a copy on server is NOT checked),
>yet my account folder had 500+ messages dating back to 2003. (This server is
>used in a non-profit outfit, and I do volunteer admin, so I don't get much
>mail at all through this system.) Shouldn't the server be dumping the files
>associated with messages that have been downloaded to the client? Seems odd
>that in my case it's still hanging onto them.

Yes, the server should be deleting the messages when the client tells it
to delete them. Given your above info, I'd say either Entourage is
failing to tell the server to delete them, or the server is failing to
delete them. But either way, something is definitly not correct.

Any chance your hard drive is corrupt? Maybe the files are failing to
delete because the server can't delete them.

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>