From: Christopher Bort <cbort@globalhomes.com>
Subject: Re: converting to Postfix; confused about users
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 16:52:33 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On 10/18/05 at 15:59, Stefan Jeglinski wrote:

> I've successfully tested Postfix receiving from and sending to a user
> on the OSX box if that user has a regular account, home folder and
> all, etc. But do I have to create a full user acct, home directory
> and all, for *every* user, to be able to receive and store mail for
> that user? All mail is stored in /var/mail/username, not anywhere in
> the user's home folder, AFAICT.

As I recall, one reason I ended up using exim instead of postfix on OS X is
because the postfix distributed with OS X is built to only support system
users. I considered compiling my own postfix build with support for MySQL
users, but then I realized that I might as well look at other alternatives
if I was going to roll my own. To make a long story short, exim seemed the
to me to be a better MTA that postfix. Add to that the existence of
George's ECM package at
<http://maxo.captainnet.net/installs/mailserver/index.html>, which provides
installer packages for exim and courier-imap, with MySQL, SpamAssassin and
ClamAV support, and it was a no-brainer for me. I'm running it on OS X
'Client' rather than OS X Server, but George's packages install just fine
on Client with the appropriate [minor] adjustments to the install
instructions.

                      <http://www.globalhomes.com/>