From: Lewis Butler <lbutler@covisp.net>
Subject: Re: converting to Postfix; confused about users
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 20:57:38 -0600
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On 18 Oct 2005, at 16:59 , Stefan Jeglinski wrote:
I've successfully tested Postfix receiving from and sending to a user on the OSX box if that user has a regular account, home folder and all, etc. But do I have to create a full user acct, home directory and all, for *every* user, to be able to receive and store mail for that user? All mail is stored in /var/mail/username, not anywhere in the user's home folder, AFAICT.

If you jsut use postfix, yes.  What most people do is setup Courier/MySQL to work with postfix.  This allows the email users to be setup just in a mysql database, and there mail is stored in maildirs (usually somewhere like /usr/local/virtual/ or something.

If I use NetInfo Manager to create a user without a home folder, that username shows up as a presumably accessible Postfix mailbox, but I would have to add quite a bit more info to make it a useable acct (passwd etc).

I'm much more familiar with Linux, normally I would user adduser without a home directory, but there is no adduser/useradd on Darwin that I can tell.

adduser is a fairly simple shell script.  I downloaded one and used a version in OS X for quite a while.  Here's one:

<http://www.afp548.com/article.php?story=20040813023740511>

However, this is not what I use for the majority of my email accounts.  Go take a gander at

<http://postfixwiki.org/index.php?title=Main_Page>

and look at the Postfix+MySQL+Courier-IMAP+Maildrop+SpamAssassin howto (or one of the other postfix+MySQL+Courier howtos).

--
Lewis Butler, Owner Covisp.net
240 S Broadway #203, 80209