From: Orgo <orgo@internode.on.net>
Subject: SIMS 1.7 CommuniGate 3.2.1 - can't check mail from outside LAN
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 14:32:57 -0800
To: <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
SIMS 1.7 CommuniGate 3.2.1 - can't check mail from outside LAN Hi all,

This is my first post to this list.  Happy to supply as much information as possible to resolve this problem as soon as possible.
This mail server has been running for years without any problems.  Will be upgraded soon but in the meantime I have a need to allow users to check their mail from home.  For some reason I always get “invalid user name or password” although I know the username and password are correct.  Can check mail while on LAN without a hitch

Here’s some telnet info which may be helpful:

O-G4:~ orgo$ telnet mail.thingy.com.au 25
Trying mail.thingy.com.au...
Connected to mail.blah.com.au.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 stuff.mail.blah.net ESMTP server ready Fri, 4 Nov 2005 01:05:19 +0000
HELO thingy.com.au
250 stuff.mail.blah.net
MAIL FROM: orgo@internode.on.net
250 Sender <orgo@internode.on.net> Ok
RCPT TO: orgo@thingy.com.au
250 Recipient <orgo@thingy.com.au> Ok
DATA
354 Ok Send data ending with <CRLF>.<CRLF>
This is a test
.
250 Message received: 20051104010743.FKNZ9768.stuff.mail.blah.net@thingy.com.au
quit
221 stuff.mail.blah.net ESMTP server closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.
O-G4:~ orgo$
--

When I try to Telnet to port 110 and authenticate I get this:

--
O-G4:~ orgo$ telnet mail.thingy.com.au 110
Trying mail.thingy.com.au...
Connected to mail.blah.com.au.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK POP3 server ready.
USER orgo
+OK please send PASS command
PASS ******
-ERR invalid user name or password.
--

Tried checking mail with Entourage 2004 11.1.0 and Mail 2.0.5 from Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.3.  Same result.
I’ll check the logs as soon as I get a chance to see if there are some clues there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Orgo.