Mailing List Message #15158
From: Michael A. Pasek <>
Subject: Re: Error Msg
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 22:00:58 -0600
To: SIMS Discussions <>
In SIMS Digest #2405, Warren Michelsen <> wrote:
 Is this error mesage improperly formed? SIMS continues to try, probably
 due to the 450, but the account foesn't exist:
 00:12:14 3 SMTP [S.0008786782] delayed by 450 <>:
 Recipient address rejected: undeliverable address: host[] said: 550 unknown user <>

OK, so I'm just catching up on backlogged email!

I see that nobody had responded to Warren's query, so I thought I'd comment.

Is the message improperly formed ?  It depends.  It's got a 3-digit
error code, I think that's all that's required by RFC821.  I haven't
looked it up, but RFC2821 may expand on the "requirements" of responses.

Is "" brain-dead ?  Yes -- it should not have treated the 5xx error
as "temporary", although I believe there is a comment in RFC2821 regarding
how some implementations improperly use the 450 error code.  Unfortunately,
I don't have the few minutes it'd take to look that up right now.....

Michael A. Pasek
Pasek Consulting, Inc.
9741 Foley Boulevard NW
Coon Rapids, MN  55433-5616