From: Michael A. Pasek <mike001@michael-pasek.com>
Subject: Re: Error Msg
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 22:00:58 -0600
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
In SIMS Digest #2405, Warren Michelsen <Warren@MDCCLXXVI.com> wrote:
 Is this error mesage improperly formed? SIMS continues to try, probably
 due to the 450, but the account foesn't exist:
 00:12:14 3 SMTP [S.0008786782] delayed by adw.biz: 450 <rwebester@adw.biz>:
 Recipient address rejected: undeliverable address: host
 mail.pulvertech.com[64.72.162.70] said: 550 unknown user <rwebester@adw.biz>

OK, so I'm just catching up on backlogged email!

I see that nobody had responded to Warren's query, so I thought I'd comment.

Is the message improperly formed ?  It depends.  It's got a 3-digit
error code, I think that's all that's required by RFC821.  I haven't
looked it up, but RFC2821 may expand on the "requirements" of responses.

Is "adw.biz" brain-dead ?  Yes -- it should not have treated the 5xx error
as "temporary", although I believe there is a comment in RFC2821 regarding
how some implementations improperly use the 450 error code.  Unfortunately,
I don't have the few minutes it'd take to look that up right now.....

Michael A. Pasek
Pasek Consulting, Inc.
mike001@michael-pasek.com
--