From: Michael Heth <mlr@serversmiths.com>
Subject: correct router syntax to put SIMS inline ahead of my listserver?
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 12:47:13 -0800
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>

I have a spammer shoveling spam to my list server. I just throw them away and not try to bounce them because they are often fake addresses anyway. So since my list server accepts them he thinks they are getting through.

A couple of years ago I tried putting one of my SIMS servers inline ahead of the list server so that SIMS would use all it's normal anti-spam measures to bounce the obvious spams but my list server didn't like the arrangement for some reason and I dropped that line of defense.

But I need to give it a try again.

My SIMS server is called

listsend.serversmiths.com

and my list server does actually send all it's mail out through that server.

My list server is called

lists.serversmiths.com

As I remember I was to point the DNS for

lists.serversmiths.com

at the IP for listsend.serversmiths.com

and have a router entry for something like

lists.serversmiths.com = lists.serversmiths.com.smtp

can anyone confirm that I have the issues correctly in my mind.

Is there anyway to do the routing using the IP nos?

Should I try something else?

Thanks for any and all advice/tips.

Michael Heth