From: <billc_lists@greenbuilder.com>
Subject: Re: correct router syntax to put SIMS inline ahead of my listserver?
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 16:19:05 -0600
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 12:47 PM -0800 12/12/05, Michael Heth wrote:
I have a spammer shoveling spam to my list server. I just throw them away and not try to bounce them because they are often fake addresses  anyway. So since my list server accepts them he thinks they are  getting through.

A couple of years ago I tried putting one of my SIMS servers inline ahead of the list server so that SIMS would use all it's normal anti- spam measures to bounce the obvious spams but my list server didn't  like the arrangement for some reason and I dropped that line of defense.

I do that, and also have ASSP in line before my SIMS server.  It makes a big difference, better than SIMS' anti spam capabilities.

But I need to give it a try again.

My SIMS server is called

listsend.serversmiths.com

and my list server does actually send all it's mail out through that  server.

My list server is called

lists.serversmiths.com

As I remember I was to point the DNS for

lists.serversmiths.com

at the IP for listsend.serversmiths.com

Yes

and have a router entry for something like

lists.serversmiths.com = lists.serversmiths.com.smtp

can anyone confirm that I have the issues correctly in my mind.

Should work.

I have so many different domain names on the various lists (and not that many lists in all) that I just put them in the router individually...

<listname@domain.com>=listname@listserv.domain.com

(where domain.com is on SIMS and listserv.domain.com is the list machine.

Is there anyway to do the routing using the IP nos?

Should I try something else?

Best thing would be to have your listserver behind a firewall on a local address that your SIMS server can see, but the outside world can't. Otherwise they'll eventually get the name/IP of your listserver and resume sending directly to it.  I keep telling myself I need to do this myself some day....

--
Bill Christensen
<http://greenbuilder.com/contact/>