From: Dave Pooser <dave-cgpro@pooserville.com>
Subject: Re: Host Channel Limit
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 11:18:06 -0600
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
> Unfortunately, it is more than just VZ playing that stupid game, and
> support for the trick exists in Postfix and Exim. A lousy concept
> which is usually badly executed, but one which stops as lot of
> today's spam (and will keep doing so until all the spammers wise up
> and start using valid full addresses instead of just random addresses
> in valid domains.)

It's a tragedy of the commons; as long as the people who use sender callback
are a minority of users, sender callback stops a lot of spam. Once it's used
universally, it'll make backscatter a thousand times worse.

That said, the principle ("I won't accept a message if I can't reach the
sender with an NDR") seems sound. It's just that the principle will run
smack dab into the fact that spammers are evil.
--
Dave Pooser
Cat-Herder-in-Chief, Pooserville.com