From: Warren Michelsen <Warren@MDCCLXXVI.com>
Subject: Re: Reasonable Connection Timeout
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 23:14:39 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 8:09 PM -0500 3/30/06, Bill Cole sent email regarding Re: Reasonable Connection Timeout:
At 4:15 PM -0700 3/30/06, Warren Michelsen  imposed structure on a stream of electrons, yielding:
I'm having a problem with one company, a cable Internet provider, connecting to my mail server. They say it cannot be contacted, that connection attempts by their server to mine time out.

How quickly should a server time out while waiting for a response from my server? What's a reasonable amount of time? Should a server give up if there's no response within the first 10 seconds?

That's absurd, and in direct conflict with long-established norms as well as the guideline in RFC2821 of 5 minutes on initial connection.

and